For clarity, precision and outright speed, there’s no beating a prime lens. You already knew that, of course. So let’s get specific about which prime lenses offer stunning, high-contrast images time and again: the CANON EF 85MM f/1.8 (USM) Lens achieves stunning images not only because it is a fixed length telephoto lens, but because of all the features and intricate design that go in to each photo you take. From the construction of the lens to its portability to fast, accurate autofocus, this Canon 85mm f/1.8 has all of the bells and whistles where it counts: offering you consistent imaging with beautiful accuracy on a variety of subjects.
- Quality lens construction. No matter where you are in your journey to finding a good lens, you should always pay attention to the construction of the lens itself. Not only is it going to tell you how the company making the lens pays attention to detail, it’s going to tell you how well the lens will perform. In this case, we’re looking at 7 groups and 9 lens elements going into the construction. These lens elements are key in providing you, the photographer, with an end result that you can be proud of, whether you’re in a studio or outdoors taking a landscape shot.
- Sharp, clear images. Sure, the Canon 85mm f/1.8 works with a magnification of 1:7, giving you telephoto accuracy with the clarity of a prime lens. But there’s more to the story here. A fixed focal length doesn’t mean you have to restrict yourself to one type of shot. Point your Canon lens at a landscape, or even subjects far closer than you might have thought would be photographically practical—there’s a surprising amount of versatility here, giving you the freedom to keep your lens fixed to your camera body and snap shot after beautiful shot.
- Portability. When you’re talking about a lens this versatile, you’re going to need to know that you can take it with you everywhere. As a medium telephoto lens, you need that kind of portability to pair with the wide range of shots it can take. Luckily, this lens is light enough to bring with you on a number of photography missions. It’s also easy to switch out with other lenses, which means that you’ll have some flexibility in terms of time, too—say, when that deer comes out of the woods and you need quick access to your Canon 85mm f/1.8.
- Handle photography at night. It’s a rare thing for a lens to be able to pick up enough light in night conditions, especially when you’re talking about using a telephoto lens. But a wide-open aperture of f/1.8 can handle the most sensitive of lighting conditions. The unique design is able to grab the available ambient light and produce the sharpness and accuracy you’d expect from the experts at Canon. And with so shallow a depth of focus available at f/1.8, this 85mm lens is perfect for gorgeous portraits with no distortion and softly blurred backgrounds.
- Fast and accurate. Totally non-negotiable with a telephoto lens. And luckily this lens has both, offering fast focusing and accurate shots that are beautiful as well as crisp. Take it out for a spin with some portrait shots to start and you’ll see exactly what we mean.
Telephoto shots don’t have to be rocket science—at least, not when you’re working with a lens as sophisticated and consistent as the CANON EF 85MM F/1.8 (USM) U.S.A.
A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.
A practical and portable telephoto lens
The EF 85mm f/1.8 USM produces images that are sharp and clear at all apertures. A virtually circular aperture diaphragm gives out-of-focus regions a softer, more even feel, and lets in-focus subjects stand out against a blurred background. The lens features a non-rotating front element during focusing, enabling specialist filters (such as polarizers and graduates) to be used.
Large f/1.8 aperture
A large maximum aperture of f/1.8 lets photographers shoot hand-held in difficult, low-light conditions, as well as restrict depth-of-field for creative effects.
Compressed perspective in portraiture
The short telephoto focal length of the lens slightly compresses perspective, reducing the size of prominent facial features for a flattering result.
A ring-type ultrasonic motor drives autofocus extremely quickly, and in near silence. Excellent holding torque ensures the point of focus is reached accurately, without overshooting. Furthermore, full-time manual override is available, making it possible to adjust focus without leaving AF mode.
Super Spectra coating
Super Spectra coatings ensure accurate color balance and enhance contrast. They also reduce flare and ghosting – a common problem caused by light bouncing off a camera’s sensor.
Integration with E-TTL II flash metering
The lens passes distance information back to a compatible EOS camera’s E-TTL II flash system to ensure optimal flash metering.
The Canon 85mm F/1.8 is commonly used for Fun, General purpose, Landscape/scenery, Low light, Macro photography, Night photography, Portrait, Portrait photography, Portraits, Professional work, Special effects, Sports/action, Travel, Video, Weddings, Wildlife photos and more.The Canon 85mm F/1.8 is most used by customers who consider themselves to be a Casual photographer, Casual user, Enthusiast, Photo enthusiast, Photography student, Professional, Pro photographer, Semi-professional, Semi-pro photographer among others.The Canon 85mm F/1.8 is popular because customers like the following qualities of the Canon 85mm F/1.8: Clear glass, Consistent output, Durable, Easily interchangeable, Fast / accurate auto-focus, Lightweight, Nice bokeh, Quiet, Rugged, Sharp, Simple controls and Strong construction